Tuesday, August 4, 2015

18: Photon vs. Core

As advertised, the Particle Photon seems to play nicer with wifi. It connects quicker when plugged in and stays connected (my Core occasionally lost wifi and had to go through the startup mode again). My software development problems (clunkly build works, Particle Dev doesn't) haven't been fixed, at least for the Mac app.

BTW: I've gotten interested in Particle's cloud-provided Time functions. It's not like Raspberry Pi's crontab scheduling but you can program things to occur at particular times. There's Time.hour() for the current 24-hour clock hour, for instance. Easy access is available to day-of-week (e.g.) and all of the usual Unix/Linux functions -- accuracy refreshed from the cloud. Makes a Photon much more than a "smart controller."

A Particle advantage I hadn't thought of: I'm about to install a Photon system in a farm hoop house 100 miles away. If the running program needs modification I can do it from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment