Friday, August 19, 2016

43: Linear Motors -- Arduino
revised 8/26/16

I got a stepper working after I bought one with the control interface card. But for my "Dog Treat" system I decided that a linear motor would be most reliable for spitting out dog treats. I bought 2. Here's #1:


#2:

                        top of #2                   under side     control board
                                                        of  #2             for 28B...

Right away, problems. My 28BYJ-40 stepper has 5 wires to the little board. My linear #1 only has 4 wires (blue, yellow,black, red). Will the little interface work? How do I wire it? Ditto for #2 (after I figure out how to solder the tiny contacts).

REVISION:
To get motor #1 to work I bought an "Easy Driver" through Amazon. After the nasty soldering and a couple wrong-headed examples from Googling "arduino stepper..." I got "SparkFun Easy Driver Basic Demo" code & wiring to work.

Motor #2: Soldering to those tiny contacts? First off, I shorted 2 and had to de-solder & start over. Then the same code & Easy Driver worked -- except -- forward and backward are reversed (but then the contacts weren't labeled). Also, #2 spiral gear is "coarser" so a small motor rotation moves much farther. Actually (ignoring soldering), I like #2 better -- the 2 screws will make it easier to connect to something useful.

Also: what's the best way to avoid running the plastic piece past the end of the screw? 

No comments:

Post a Comment